[Mendele] Mendele Vol. 19.022

Victor Bers victor.bers at yale.edu
Sun Apr 11 07:46:14 EDT 2010

Mendele: Yiddish literature and language

Contents of Vol. 19.022
April 9, 2010

1) Finfer-turem, Finfer-shlos (Alan Shuchat)
2) Finfer-turem, Finfer-shlos (Pearl Hoberman)
3) Letnik (Elvira Groezinger)
4) Website Yiddish Sources relaunched (Gerben Zaagsma)
5) Peysakhke Burstein (Itsik Goldenberg)
6) Dvoyre Foygls "Fun der benkshaft" (Yael Chaver)
7) "The Shiker Song" (Kalman Felsher)
8) Verter tsu Sutkevers a lid (Sheva Tsuker)
9) "gram shtram" (Maurice Wolfthal)

1)----------------------------------------------------
Date:   March 14, 2010
Subject: Finfer-turem, Finfer-shlos

Lena Watson asks,

"In Leivick's "Di geule-komedie," I have come across a Finfer-turem as the
location of  the Golem's and Messiah ben David's final confrontation with
the Maharal. A couple of  pages later, there's a mention of Finfer- shlos.
To the best of my knowledge, the drama  unfolded in the Old New Synagogue
in Prague, but I have been unable to find any  reference to Finfer, be it
a tower or a caste. Is it an actual name or just a reference to the
tower's shape, i.e. pentagonal?"

In Joachim Neugroschel's translation of "The Golem," he writes, "On top of
the mansion  there were five large towers with ancient figures, which were
obviously from the days  when men worshiped the sun." Later, he refers to
the Fifth Tower. That sounds like  finfer-turem, finfer-shlos.

Alan Shuchat

2)----------------------------------------------------
Date:  March 15, 2010

Lena Watson asks about the Finfer Turem or Finfer Shlos at the Alt Neu
Shul in Prague. I believe the reference may be to the dome shaped ceiling
in the Alt Neu Shul, which is supported or braced by five arch-shaped
supports.  In other buildings of that time, such ceilings were braced by
four such supports but that creates a cross shape and they braced the Shul
roof with five arches to avoid the Christian symbol.

Pearl Hoberman
3)----------------------------------------------------
Date: March 14, 2010
Subject: Letnik

There was a query about the word "letnik" by Leonard Fox ("gram shtram")
in Mendele, March 14, 2010. In Polish this word means not a summer garment
but a vacationer and a summer lodging guest!

Best,
Elvira Groezinger
4)----------------------------------------------------
Date: March 22, 2010
Subject: website Yiddish Sources relaunched

Dear friends and colleagues,

I am pleased to announce the launch of the new version of Yiddish Sources
today. You can visit the website here:

http://yiddish-sources.com

Yiddish Sources aims to be a comprehensive source of information for those
who are interested in using Yiddish materials in their research. The
information is arranged in three main sections:  reference, research and
events. A new addition is the Yiddish Studies Bibliography, an online
bibliography which lists relevant scholarly literature in the field of
Yiddish Studies.

Yiddish Sources and the Yiddish Studies Bibliography will be continuously
updated. It is easy to stay updated on new content by subscribing to RSS
feeds or follow Yiddish Sources on Twitter and Facebook.

Registered users can bookmark entries and also leave comments.

Feedback and suggestions are very much appreciated and can be sent to
info at yiddish-sources.com

Please forward this announcement to anyone you think might be interested.

A sheynem dank and with best wishes,
Gerben Zaagsma