[Mendele] Mendele Vol. 20.001

Victor Bers victor.bers at yale.edu
Sun May 16 22:04:48 EDT 2010

Mendele: Yiddish literature and language

Contents of Vol. 20.001
May 15, 2010

[Moderator's note: haynt vert Mendele alt 20 yor!]

1) I.B. Singer story sought (Marc Caplan)
2) I.B. Singer story sought (Cedric Ginsberg)
3) I.B. Singer story sought (Pearl Solomon)
4) Yiddish cooking -songs and text(Milna Kartowski)
1)----------------------------------------------------
Date: April 26, 2010
Subject: I.B. Singer story sought

Russell Block seeks information on an I.B. Singer story about a Holocaust
survivor invited to a ball in New York City.

It seems to me that the story he refers to is translated as "A Wedding in
Brownsville," which appears in the 1965 collection "Short Friday"
(pp.190-206) but NOT in the "Collected Stories" published in 1996. It
doesn't appear in any of the Yiddish collections of Bashevis's writing
that I possess.

The main character of the story, Solomon Margolin, also appears in roughly
the same contours in Bashevis's novel "Shadows on the Hudson" (1998) and
so one might consider this story an "outtake" from the longer novel-which
certainly would not have suffered from judicious editing!
I agree with Mr. Block that it's one of Bashevis's best ghost stories.

I hope this helps,

Marc Caplan

[Moderator's note: A similar response was sent by Sheva Tsuker.]
2)----------------------------------------------------
Date: April 26, 2010

In the collection of Singer's short stories called "The Sance" (my copy is
published in London by Jonathan Cape, 1970), there is a story "Two corpses
go dancing."  It does not exactly fit the description, but seems to be in
a similar vein. As an author's note, I.B. Singer wrote that the story was
originally published in Yiddish in 1943 - presumably in the "Forverts."

Cedric Ginsberg
3)----------------------------------------------------
Date: April 25, 2010

I am answering a question from Russell Block about an I.B. Singer story. I
may have already sent this answer; your system of answering queries is a
mystery to me. The story is "A Wedding in Brownsville." It was published
in Commentary, March, 1964; also in a short story collection called Short
Friday. I believe it was written in English. It is, in my memory, a very
great story.

Pearl Solomon

4)----------------------------------------------------
Date: May 9, 2010
Subject: Yiddish cooking

Hello, I'm Milna Kartowski, a French actress-singer. For my new Yiddish
creation I'm looking for some texts and songs about the Yiddish cooking
tradition.

a groysn dank,
Milna Kartowski
End of Mendele Vol. 20.001

Please do not use the "reply" key when writing to Mendele. Instead, direct
your mail as
follows:

Material for Mendele Personal Notices & Announcements, i.e. announcements
of events,
commercial publications, etc., always in plain text (no HTML or the like)
to:

victor.bers at yale.edu (IMPORTANT: in the subject line write "Mendele
Personal")

Material for postings to Mendele Yiddish literature and language, i.e.
inquiries and
comments of a non-commercial or publicity nature:

mendele at mailman.yale.edu

IMPORTANT: Please include your full name as you would like it to appear in
your
posting. No posting will appear without its author's name. Submissions to
regular
Mendele should not include personal email addresses in the body of the
message, as
plain text (no
HTML or the like).

In order to spare the shamosim time and effort, we request that
contributors adhere, when
applicable, as closely as possible to standard English punctuation,
grammar, etc. and to
the YIVO rules of transliteration into Latin letters, which are explained
in summary form
at

http://www.yivoinstitute.org/about/index.php?tid=57&aid=275
<http://www.yivoinstitute.org/about/index.php?tid=57&aid=275> .

All other messages should be sent to the shamosim at this address:

mendele at mailman.yale.edu

Mendele on the web: http://mendele.commons.yale.edu/

The Mendele webpage currently gives access to issues starting with the
inauguration,
dated May 15, 1991 up to Vol. 16.027 (April 5, 2007). Issues starting with
Vol. 18.004
(July 3, 2008) up to the most recent can be found at
http://mailman.yale.edu/pipermail/mendele/

We are now working to fill the hole between those two sets and add a
search routine

To join or leave the list: