[Mendele] Mendele Vol. 21.001

Victor Bers victor.bers at yale.edu
Sun Jun 19 20:12:24 EDT 2011

Mendele: Yiddish literature and language

Contents of Vol. 21.001
June 16, 2011

1) leytsan (Hilde Pach)
2) leytsan (Helen Winkler)
3) leytsan (Oron Joffe)
4) leytsan (Mike Koplow)
5) shitere finger (Jane Peppler)
6) Ola Lilith, Wladyslaw Godik, Rumshinsky's "Varshe." (Jane Peppler)
7) shlepe-bobe (Perla Sneh)
8) Yiddish theatre website (Steven Lasky)

Subject: leytsan
Date: June 1

Leytsan is Hebrew for clown or entertainer. It was not a common word in
Dutch Yiddish. Instead, the word leits or lets was used, which has the
same meaning and also stems from Hebrew.

Hilde Pach