[Mendele] Mendele Vol. 21.014

Victor Bers victor.bers at yale.edu
Tue Feb 28 20:46:13 EST 2012

Mendele: Yiddish literature and language

Contents of Vol. 21.014
February 23, 2011

1) Call for Papers (Jan Schwarz)
2) Fefekuchen-Zilbert poem (Jordan Brown)
3) Fefekuchen-Zilbert poem (Dina Levias)
4) Fefekuchen-Zilbert poem (David Bienenfeld)
5) Fefekuchen-Zilbert poem (Hershl Hartman)
6) Fefekuchen-Zilbert poem (Khane-Faygl Turtletaub)
7) lise/Fefekuchen-Zilbert poem (Gloria Donen Sosin)
8) Jabberwocky - a protest letter (Rukhl Schaechter) and a reply (Victor
Bers)

1)----------------------------------------------------
Date: February 19
Subject: Call for Papers

European Yiddish Academic Workshop: Yiddish Culture in its European
Context
Lund University, October 28-20, 2012

The chair of Yiddish at Lund University, Sweden, in corporation with the
chairs of Yiddish at the Heinrich-Heine University of Duesseldorf and
theUniversity of Amsterdam, are pleased to announce the convening of the
first European Yiddish Academic Workshop. This annual meeting will
assemble senior and junior European researchers in the field of Yiddish
from its earliest appearance in Europe to date.

Scholars of Yiddish of all ranks (including Ph.D. students) are invited to
submit a proposal for a presentation in this workshop. The topics to be
discussed this year are:

1.Yiddish Culture after 1945;
2. European Centers of Yiddish Culture in the 20th Century.

The lectures may cover topics related to questions of language,
literature, history, folklore or any other relevant academic field. Length
of a presentation is 20 minutes followed by a 15 minutes discussion.

Senior participants will be asked to finance their own cost of travel,
while the organizers will cover the costs of hotel and meals during the
meeting. The organizers will pay for travel expenses for junior scholars,
including Ph.D. students.

Deadline for submitting a proposal for a lecture is May 15, 2012 and
proposals of no more than 400 words should be sent to
Jan.Schwarz at sol.lu.se

Jan Schwarz

2)----------------------------------------------------
Date: February 18
Subject: Fefekuchen-Zilbert poem

"Der toyt hot zayn vinkl dortn
tsu vemen kumen hob ikh shoyn nit."

Ba mir heyst der tsveyter ferz:

to whom I have not yet come

Ikh veys nit tsi s'iz der toyt tsi epes andersh vos iz der "whom"...
kh'meyn az s'iz efsher der toyt, vayl der ershter ferz perzonifitsirt im,
ober s'iz a bisl
modne tsu zogn:

Death has his claim staked there
(Death,) to whom I have not yet come

Ikh ken nisht di poeme, bin ikh nisht zikher az ot di iberzetsung leygt
zikh afn saykhl. Nu, s'iz an idee.

Aldos guts,
Jordan Brown

3)----------------------------------------------------
Date:  February 2

If that is so, I will venture a wild hypothetical guess---

"Death has its staked out its plot there,
But there is no one there whom
   I can visit anymore"
i.e.:  my dear ones had no burial, they were victims of the death camps"

Dina Levias

4)----------------------------------------------------
Date: February 2

"Der toyt hot zayn vinkl dortn
tsu vemen kumen hob ikh shoyn nit."

It seems to me from the tense of the second line, "hob ikh shoyn nisht,"
the more straightforward translation would be:

Death has his little corner there
To which I have not yet come.

David Bienenfeld

5)----------------------------------------------------
Date: February 2

Elie Train is apparently confused by the Yiddish syntax which, in this
case, places the objective phrase before the verb. The accurate
translation of the two lines is:

Death has its corner there;
I no longer have anyone to visit.

Hershl Hartman

6)----------------------------------------------------
Date:   February 8

Death has staked out his corner there;
I no longer have anyone to turn to.

Khane-Faygl Turtletaub

7)----------------------------------------------------
Date: February 3
Subject: lise/ Fefekuchen-Zilbert poem

The word "lise" or "lysy" in Yiddish comes from same word for bald is
Russian (probably  Slavic origin, not just Polish)

And Elie Train's question is so sad and moving:

Death has his corner there (i.e. Death has staked out his place there)

the last line translates as So I have no one to come back to, or home to

Gloria Donen Sosin

8)----------------------------------------------------
Subject: Jabberwocky - a protest letter
Date: February 9

I was shocked to read your posting of [Leybl Talmy's Yiddish rendering of
the] Jabberwocky yesterday. The author may be Jewish but if he weren't, I
would have called this anti-Semitic literature.

He could easily have portrayed the antagonist as a goylem or a pipernoter.
By choosing a rabbi, and mocking his beard and peyes, the author reveals
his true colors.

But even more disturbing is: why did Mendele not only permit this posting
but encourage its members to read it?

Rukhl Schaechter

The untershames replies:

I take full responsibility for running Talmy's "Jabberwocky." I believe
that even if one takes the selection of a rabbi as at all significant,
this sort of badinage has a secure place in Yiddish folklore and
literature: think Peretz's "Bontshe shvayg," think  even of "az der rebbe
elimelech. "

Moreover, Mendelyaner with a far better knowledge of Yiddish than I have,
have written in praise of Talmy's version.

Victor Bers
End of Mendele Vol. 21.014

Material for postings to Mendele Yiddish literature and language, i.e.
inquiries and
comments of a non-commercial or publicity nature:

mendele at mailman.yale.edu

IMPORTANT: Please include your full name as you would like it to appear in
your
posting. No posting will appear without its author's name. Submissions to
regular
Mendele should not include personal email addresses in the body of the
message, as
plain text (no
HTML or the like).

In order to spare the shamosim time and effort, we request that
contributors adhere, when
applicable, as closely as possible to standard English punctuation,
grammar, etc. and to
the YIVO rules of transliteration into Latin letters, which are explained
in summary form
at

http://www.yivoinstitute.org/about/index.php?tid=57&aid=275
<http://www.yivoinstitute.org/about/index.php?tid=57&aid=275> .

All other messages should be sent to the shamosim at this address:

mendele at mailman.yale.edu

Mendele on the web: http://mendele.commons.yale.edu/

The Mendele webpage currently gives access to issues starting with the
inauguration,
dated May 15, 1991 up to Vol. 16.027 (April 5, 2007). Issues starting with
Vol. 18.004
(July 3, 2008) up to the most recent can be found at
http://mailman.yale.edu/pipermail/mendele/

We are now working to fill the hole between those two sets and add a
search routine

To join or leave the list: