[Mendele] Mendele vol. 23.012 (.txt below; WORD and pdf versions attached)

Victor Bers victor.bers at yale.edu
Fri Nov 29 11:43:22 EST 2013

Mendele: Yiddish literature and language

Contents of Vol. 23.012
November 24, 2013

1) "Vot ken you makh? Es iz amerike!" (Maurice Wolfthal)
2) "Vi halt men bay zey" (Moyshe Taube)
3) vakans (Seth Weisberg)
4) International Course in Yiddish Language and Literature at Beit Ben
Yehuda February 16-28, 2014 (Vera Szabo)
5) YIVO-YEDIES blog (Roberta Newman)
6) "married beneath her" (Eliezer Greisdorf)
7) "Bintl Briv" (Mikhoyel Basherives)

1)----------------------------------------------------
Date: October 29
Subject: "Vot ken you makh? Es iz amerike!"

On the CD Dave Tarras Yiddish-American Music, this satirical song by
Secunda and
Lebedeff expresses the shock of an immigrant at the world turned
upside-down that he
finds here. He exclaims in Yinglish, "Vot ken you makh?" instead of "Vot
ken you tu?"
which would be a closer approximation of the Yiddish, "Vos ken men tun?"
Can
someone explain that choice of verb?

Maurice Wolfthal