[Mendele] Mendele Vol. 23.010

Victor Bers victor.bers at yale.edu
Fri Oct 18 15:45:15 EDT 2013

Mendele: Yiddish literature and language

Contents of Vol. 23.010
October 17, 2013

1) "Boris Muzikant" (Maurice Wolf)
2) "Di goldene keyt" (Michael Steinlauf)
3) "Di goldene keyt" (Ute Müller)
4) "Sheyn vi di levone" (Jane Enkin)
5) Yung-Idish (Zachary Baker)
6) married beneath him/her (Cedric Ginsberg)

1)----------------------------------------------------
Date: September 21
Subject: "Boris Muzikant"

I'm listening to the cut on Brave Old World's album Klezmer Musicthat
features Ben
Bayzler [Boris Muzikant]. In his role as marshalik at a wedding, he says to
the guests,
"Un yetst vet ets hern a modzhitser shtikele" [And now you will hear some
Modzhits
music].  Later he exhorts the dancers, "Haybts di fiselekh" [Pick up your
feet]. And when
he sings the song Tshipe Dvoyre, he ends with "Gets mir khanike gelt" [Give
me
Chanukah money].

1. I'm curious to know the geographical parameters of the forms ets,
haybts, and gets.
2. He begins his routine with "Un hersht lomir ale gayn bazetsn di kale"
[And first let us
all go and seat the bride]. Is he saying "hersht" for theatrical effect, or
is this also
regional?

Maurice Wolf

2)----------------------------------------------------
Date: August 26
Subject: "Di goldene keyt"

The full text of "Di goldene keyt" is available in any edition of Peretz's
collected works.
It doesn't seem to be online anywhere.

Michael Steinlauf

3)----------------------------------------------------
Date: August 26

Dear Alberto Rozenfarb,

please try this link for "Di goldene keyt" in Yiddish:

http://sammlungen.ub.uni-frankfurt.de/jd/content/titleinfo/1807486

It is number 4.

Best regards

Ute Müller

4)----------------------------------------------------
Date: August 26
Subject: "Sheyn vi di levone"

I loved reading Perla Sneh's folk-processed version of "Sheyn vi di levone!

I'm curious in general about the ways in which texts with known authors
become folk
songs in Yiddish culture.  If anyone has thoughts or recommended reading,
I'd love to
hear about them.

Jane Enkin

5)----------------------------------------------------
Date: September 13
Subject: Yung-Idish

Mendelyaner,

I'm pleased to announce that the Stanford University Libraries have
digitized a complete
set of the rare (and fragile) avant-garde Yiddish literary and artistic
journal Yung-Idish.
All three issues were published in Lodz, 1919, and the digitized versions
are found at the
following URLs:

http://purl.stanford.edu/xs149kg0644
http://purl.stanford.edu/vz646sg6431
http://purl.stanford.edu/vr126xr7917

For background on the Yung-Idish (or: Yung-yidish) group, see the entry in
the YIVO
Encyclopedia : http://www.yivoencyclopedia.org/article.aspx/Yung-yidish

"The founding of Yung-yidish, the first Yiddish artistic avant-garde group
in Poland,
grew out of a meeting in 1918 between poet Moyshe Broderzon and a group of
visual
artists centered around Yitskhok Broyner, Yankl Adler, and Marek Szwarc.
Eventually,
the group included some 20-odd members including Yitskhak Katzenelson,
Yekhezkl-
Moyshe Nayman, and Hershele, as well as younger people discovered by the
group, such
as the artist Henekh Bartshinski and the writers Elimelekh Shmulevitsh,
Khayim Leyb
Fuks, and Yisroel Shtern."

Yung-Idish was also the subject of a scholarly monograph by the Polish art
historian
Jerzy Malinowski: "Grupa 'Jung Idysz' i ?ydowskie ?rodowisko 'Nowej Sztuki'
Polsce: 1918-1923." Warszawa: Polska Akademia Nauk. Instytut Sztuki., 1987

In addition, I see that there is a Facebook page devoted to the group.

Stanford's set of Yung-Idish is part of the Ezra Lahad Collection, which
was acquired by
Roger Kohn for Stanford in 1998. The issues, on crumbling thin cardboard
stock, were
painstakingly conserved by the Stanford Libraries' professional
conservators in 2012,
prior to their digitization.

Zachary M. Baker

6)----------------------------------------------------
Date: August 36
Subject: married beneath him/her

Tayere Mendelyane,

How would you say in Yiddish, "He/she married beneath him/her." That is to
say, he/she
is of a higher social standing than the person he married.

Mit grusn,

Cedric Ginsberg

End of Mendele Vol. 23.010

Please do not use the "reply" key when writing to Mendele. Instead, direct
your mail as

follows:

Submissions to regular Mendele should not include personal email addresses,
as
author's name as you
would like it to appear.

In order to spare the shamosim time and effort, we request that
contributors adhere, when
applicable, as closely as possible to standard English punctuation,
grammar, etc. and to
the YIVO rules of transliteration into Latin letters. A guide to
Romanization can be found
at this site: http://www.yivoinstitute.org/about/index.php?tid=57&aid=275

Material for Mendele Personal Notices & Announcements, i.e. announcements
of events,
commercial publications, requests to which responses should be sent
exclusively to the
request's author, etc., always in plain text (no HTML or the like) to:

   victor.bers at yale.edu (in the subject line write Mendele Personal)

Material for postings to Mendele Yiddish literature and language, i.e.
inquiries and

comments of a non-commercial or publicity nature:

    mendele at mailman.yale.edu

IMPORTANT:  Please include your full name as you would like it to appear in
your
posting.  No posting will appear without its author's name.

All other messages should be sent to the shamosim at this address:

mendele at mailman.yale.edu

Mendele on the web [interim address]:
https://sites.google.com/site/mendeledervaylik