[NHCOLL-L:129] was: insuring shipments; now: shipping fluids

Alastair Graham Alastair.Graham at marine.csiro.au
Wed Apr 28 00:23:44 EDT 1999

>During this discussion we have contrasted the choice of private versus
>>government (i.e., postal service) carriers, and that has been interesting.
>>However, there has been no discussion of other factors involved in shipping
>>fluid-preserved material.  Is anyone admitting to sending fluid material at
>>full preservative strength through the post?

and again on 26/4/99:

>I am not familiar with US regs on ground transportation, but if your shipment
>>even stands a chance of being put on a plane, undocumented shipping in any
>>amount of 70% ethanol is illegal.  There is a small quantities loophole with
>>the USPS, but for air shipping according to International Air Transport
>>Association regulations, you must be trained and certified to ship according
>to >Transport of Dangerous Goods regulations.

I don't know very much about the US situation, but according to Australian
postal regulations, small amounts of flammable liquids (eg 70% ethanol) may
be posted as long as it is enclosed within approved packaging.  I send fish
(of various sizes) around the world, regularly.  I've never had a problem
with the postal authorities.  Courier & freight companies are another
matter.  I always wrap the fish in muslin soaked in 70% ethanol (thus there
might be up to 20-30ml of ethanol per fish) & seal this in 3 plastic bags
(ensuring that little air is trapped in the bags).  This is then placed
(with other similarly packaged fish) in a strengthened cardboard box or
plastic drum with polystryene foam chips (for cushioning protection) & some
shredded paper (to absorb any potential spills).

I then fill in a customs declaration, stating that the package contains
"dead preserved fish for scientific study only" & also include the
following notice typed in various languages:

"Postal Inspectors:  This package contains dead, preserved fish for
scientific study.  If this shipment is inspected, it is absolutely
imperative that the fishes wrapped in moist muslin be returned to, and
sealed inside the plastic bags.  If not, the fish will dry rapidly and will
be worthless.  Thank you very much for your cooperation."

cheers

Alastair

Alastair Graham
Fish Collection Manager
CSIRO Division of Marine Research    Phone: (03) 62 325 222
GPO Box 1538                           International: (61-3) 62 325 222
Hobart  Tas  7001                    Fax:   (03) 62 325 000
AUSTRALIA                              International: (61-3) 62 325 000
                                     E-mail: Alastair.Graham at marine.csiro.au
Division Website: www.marine.csiro.au