[NHCOLL-L:135] Re: Input wanted from users of Visual FoxPro dbs

Tom DiBenedetto tdib at umich.edu
Thu Apr 29 13:43:22 EDT 1999

The Neodat project (www.neodat.org) uses MS Access, and I have found it
to be perfectly adequate for all of our needs. Our central database has
one table of 400,000 records, another with 120,000 records, and another
10 tables with several thousand records each. Our references and type
specimen database has five tables of several thousand records each, and
a very complex system of joins to implement the various queries we
recieve. The two .mdb files are approx. 130MB and 25 MB respectivly. I
have found this system to be very fast, reliable, and flexible.
We use a server-side scripting language, iHTML (commericial product) to
implement the web-db interface. I have found this system to be very
powerful and far more flexible than cgi scripts. Not having used
Foxpro, I cant speak to the comparison, but I would predict that you
would not run into any serious limitations with Access.
-Tom

Tom DiBenedetto                   tdib at umich.edu
Museum of Zoology                 http://www-personal.umich.edu/~tdib
University of Michigan              734-647-2192