[NHCOLL-L:199] Entomology Display Drawers

Perkins, Margaret mperkins at mov.vic.gov.au
Thu Jul 15 00:28:45 EDT 1999

Dear Listmembers,

In the Study Centre at our new museum it is planned to have a number of
small displays of insects and other arthropods (common insect pests,
Butterflies of the region, spiders, etc etc) in drawers which can be pulled
part way out of a cabinet and be consulted by visitors. Our problem is that
we do not want to have the smell of naphthalene around in the study centre
but our entomologist is reluctant to let the insects go in there unless we
use naphthalene or can completely seal and pestproof the drawers. We thought
of putting the insects in a separate glass or perspex topped case which
could be sealed and then inserted in the drawer as the drawer units
themselves cannot be sealed. My questions therefore are:
1. Is this a reasonable way to go? and if so
2. Does anyone know of a manufacturer of glass or perspex topped cases which
could be sealed
3.What should these cases be made of - wood or metal? and
4. How should we seal it? Would a neoprene or similar gasket between the lid
and the case be enough or should we also perhaps run a bead of silicon round
the join?
Thank you in anticipation

Margaret Perkins
Museum Victoria