[NHCOLL-L:51] Re: vapona

Jessica Johnson Jessica_Johnson at nps.gov
Thu Mar 25 15:21:44 EST 1999

     Another alternative is freezing - it is now commonly used by
     conservators to kill pests found in museum objects.  Conservators in
     the anthropology department of your museum can probably give you
     advice.

     There is a lot of published information about the technical aspects of
     non-toxic alternatives to pesticides.  One place on the web that
     information on this and other aspects of pest management (including
     the problems with Vapona) are the NPS Conserve O Grams at
     <http://www.cr.nps.gov/csd/publications/index.htm>.

     You can also go to Conservation OnLine
     <http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/index.shtml> - it has a section of
     pest management pages, and if you do a search in the listserv archives
     for the Conservation DistList - available through this page you'll
     find lots of discussion that's gone on there over quite a few years.

     Society for the Preservation of Natural History Collections has a
     leaflet on anoxia at <http://www.spnhc.org/>.

     Good luck,
     Jessie Johnson
     Conservator