[NHCOLL-L:332] Accession Question

Jane MacKnight jmacknight at cincymuseum.org
Wed Nov 17 08:44:39 EST 1999

I am planning to establish a New Acquisitions Committee to review all
proposed acquisitions prior to accepting/accessioning.  While this is
standard practice in history, art and other non-science museums, the natural
history curators here claim that it is not standard practice in natural
history museums.  There are strong feelings that the curator is the only
person qualified to make the decision.  I agree that the curator should make
the recommendation based on knowledge of the collection, scientific basis
etc.  However, other staff are more knowledgeable about space priorities,
finances, legal and permit issues, needs of education and exhibit programs,
political issues etc.  I'd like to know what procedures other natural
history museums employ to accept new acquisitions.  If you use a committee
how does it work, who participates etc?  Please respond off list.  Thanks in
advance.

Jane

Jane MacKnight
Registrar and Director of Collections