[NHCOLL-L:337] Re: Mold/fungus on Nat. His. Specimens

BROWN jeffbrow at NMSU.Edu
Thu Nov 18 12:25:21 EST 1999

Thomas wrote in part:
I find mold growing on specimens if the specimen has been bagged in
plastic and left chilled but not frozen for long periods of time.  I've
also seen it happen on specimens that were in a freezer at temps about
20F.  It should not have happened in one day unless it was about to happen
any way. The specimen was not properly cared for from the start.  Chances
are the body feathers will begin to slip from the skin once you begin to
skin it. Test by gently tugging the feathers on the lower abdomen and the
throat. These areas get bad the fastest and if the feathers are holding
there the you'll probably be able to salvage the skin.  If not, consider a
spread wing/tail/feathers/complete skeleton preparation.  [The feathers
being the flight feathers from the skeletonized wing and to be used as
potential DNA sample.]  Wing feathers tend to hold even on pretty rotten
birds.  And even the most rotten specimen will make a fine skeleton.  If
the skin can be salvaged you'll probably have to wash it to get the mold
out.   I use Dawn dishwashing soap and wash/rinse it several times.

Hello Thomas,

Thanks for the advise.  The NMSU Vert Museum is in Las Cruces,  NM.
We have a small collection of birds (3,000), mammals (12,000), and herps
(800). (these are approx.)  I have just moved to NMSU from Ohio.  I have
prepared birds for the past nine years at the Cincinnati Museum of Nat
His. (my ex-supervisor and mentor-Beth Merrit{Hi Beth}) I have prepared
over 600 specimens ( both in the field and in labs)and since my arrival
here added some 200+ birds to NMSU.

My question to the group was alittle more indepth.  I know I can wash the
specimen and dry it.  But if you scrub the molt off the skin, find every
spot, might the spores "relocate" to other spots, dry there, waiting for
humid conditions.  I know when cleaning mold in a house, there are special
cleaners or bleach to "kill" the mold.  This of course cannot be done with
a specimen.

So, I think a skeleton is my only choice.

Any replies?

Jeff Brown
NMSU Vert Museum.
jeffbrow at nmsu.edu