[NHCOLL-L:345] RE: Further on the accession by committeequestion

Arthur H. Harris aharris at mail.utep.edu
Sat Nov 20 13:37:45 EST 1999

Dear Beth--

Some good points--responding to the original correspondent, I was
set off (sensitive spot) by the "one example of blobbus maximus"
being as good as any other.  In general, I agree that what one looks
for is a sample size (and spacing of samples in time and geographic
space) sufficient for reasonable statistical analysis, and where
space and other resources are limiting factors, lines necessarily
must be drawn.  My concern tends to be over whether lines are being
drawn logically or arbitrarily.  The field as a whole hasn't done a
particularly good job of communicating what is necessary, what is
desirable, and what is luxurious.

Although not sanguine enough to believe that natural history
curators are necessarily going to be logical, one possible approach
(from a theoretical point of view) would be to go to a negotiated
piece of the resource pie but allow the curators rein within that
piece (a sort of "we can allocate resources for up to 200 bird
specimens over the next year--which 200 is up to you").

You made an important point in "Yet none of the curators could ever
articulate guidelines for deciding when there was "enough" of a
given category of thing." Where resources are being stressed, it
seems a reasonable enough demand from the administration that
curators set up guidelines for at least routine acquisitions.

--
Laboratory for Environmental Biology
Centennial Museum (Natural and Cultural History)
phone (915)747-6985; fax (915)747-5808; aharris at utep.edu
http://www.utep.edu/leb     http://www.utep.edu/museum