[NHCOLL-L:267] Re: molluscan periostracum

Emily Kaplan kaplane at nmaicrc.si.edu
Thu Oct 7 07:54:42 EDT 1999

A related question: our museum has a fairly large collection
of archaeological shell, many species. A number are
deteriorating due to so-called "Byne's disease". It has been
suggested that we store all the shell in microclimates
(tightly sealed PE or PP containers) with dessicants
(probably some form of silica gel) even if it is not
actively deteriorating at the moment. We would not be able
to coat the shell in any way as they are artifacts not
nautral history specimens. I would appreciate any
suggestions.
Thanks very much.

Emily Kaplan
Conservator
National Museum of the American Indian/Smithsonian
Institution
Cultural Resources Center
4220 Silver Hill Road
Suitland, MD 20746
tel (301) 238-6624 x 6316
fax (301) 238-3201
e-mail kaplane at nmaicrc.si.edu

>>> Charles  Sturm <csturmjr+ at pitt.edu> 10/06/99 07:23PM

I was wondering if any museums that have collections of
Unionids
(freshwater bivalves) routinely treat the shells to help
preserve the
periostracum.  I know that the museum at Ohio State
University does.  They
treat by dipping into a solution of parafin dissolved in
xylene.  Is
anyone else using a routine like this or some other one?
Thanks for the
input.

Charlie
Charlie Sturm, Jr
Research Associate - Section of Invertebrate Zoology
                     Carnegie Museum of Natural History,
Pittsburgh, PA
Assistant Professor - Family Medicine

csturmjr at pitt.edu