[NHCOLL-L:540] RE: Virus warning about e-mail to this group

Roberta Faul-Zeitler faulzeitler at ascoll.org
Thu Apr 20 11:29:58 EDT 2000

4/20/00

Hello all - We use Microsoft Outlook (not Outlook Express). We received the
book message but no attachment. After receiving the warning, we scanned our
network and found no infected files. It was especially chilling to think
that a virus can attach to the signature block or be embedded in a message.

Since ASC and SPNHC are joint partners in NHCOLL, let me weigh in for a
second. Perhaps we need to establish a simple protocol about attaching any
attachments to email messages that get circulated on the NHCOLL listserv.
Perhaps an attachment MUST be vetted first (scanned for virus) before it is
put up on the listserv. That's a simple enough rule.

The other option is to eliminate attachments altogether -- less attractive,
but less costly than the time and repair expense if a virus leaks through
and attacks your network (spoken from unfortunate experience).

Please let us know what you think the best practice would be for the future.

Thanks for all who wrote back and explained what you found.

Bobbie
Roberta Faul-Zeitler
Executive Director
Association of Systematics Collections