[NHCOLL-L:692] Re: Base Map of N.Am. W/ States and Provinces

Una Smith una.smith at yale.edu
Tue Aug 22 21:37:24 EDT 2000

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Diana Horton wrote:

>Is there anywhere available (preferably public domain) a good base map of
>North America that includes the political divisions, but few physical
>features?

Yes.  The USGS has a states data file that provides exactly this info;
it is public domain, but the version on their free downloads server is
also in a GIS format that you may need to convert.  (I don't have the
URL of the site where I got my copy handy;  if you get desperate, let
me know.)  Anyway, this is standard data that is included in libraries
bundled with GIS tools.

	Una Smith		una.smith at yale.edu

	Yale University
	New Haven, CT  06520-8106