[NHCOLL-L:808] RE: freeze drying specimens

Hamann, Barbara HamannB at CarnegieMuseums.Org
Tue Dec 12 08:53:26 EST 2000

Richard:
An overview of the pros and cons of freeze-drying animals is given by NPS
conservator Barbara Cumberland, in her article, "Using Freeze-dried Animal
Specimens in Exhibits," in Cultural Resource Management 22:7, 23-26, 1999.

Barbara Hamann
Conservator
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Pittsburgh, PA
(412) 665-2607

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Monk [mailto:rich.monk at ttu.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2000 4:29 PM
To: nhcoll-l at lists.yale.edu
Subject: [NHCOLL-L:806] freeze drying specimens

Dear list,

Years ago, when I was a student working at the MLB Museum at BYU, they
purchased a freeze drier and were using it to "prep" bird specimens.  As I
recall, specimens up to the size of a pigeon were freeze dried.  Are other
collections currently doing this?  If there is someone on the list who is,
could you please contact me so I can ask you about the details (price, size
of the drier, size of specimens, time required, etc.)

Thanks in advance,

Richard Monk
rich.monk at ttu.edu

Richard Monk