[NHCOLL-L:443] Revision of Historic Resources Act (Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada)

William Douglas Boyce wdb at zeppo.geosurv.gov.nf.ca
Mon Feb 14 11:52:26 EST 2000

Fellow List Members,

In early September, 1998, a trio with a rented U-Haul trailer from Buffalo,
New York -  using a pivotable rock saw - attempted to remove Late
Precambrian Ediacaran-type fossils from the vicinity of the Mistaken Point
Ecological Reserve. They were thwarted by concerned locals, who are
currently developing ecotourism proposals based on the fossils. As a direct
consequence of the incident, the province is currently strengthening the
provisions of the Historic Resources Act of 1985. To that end, we are
soliciting input from concerned parties. Specifically, we are asking for
people to identify geological/paleontological sites they consider of
sufficient importance (significance, uniqueness, etc) to merit protection.
Please email your suggestions to Doug Boyce <wdb at zeppo.geosurv.gov.nf.ca>
or Louise Daley <ldaley at tourism.gov.nf.ca>. Thanks in advance.

All the best,

Doug Boyce

Mr. W. Douglas Boyce, M.Sc., P.Geo., Provincial Paleontologist,
Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, Department of Mines and Energy,
Geological Survey Division, Regional Geology Section,
P.O. Box 8700, St. John's, NF, Canada A1B 4J6

Phone:	(709) 729-2163
Fax:	(709) 729-4270
Email:	wdb at zeppo.geosurv.gov.nf.ca
WWW:	http://www.geosurv.gov.nf.ca/mapping/boyce.html