[NHCOLL-L:785] RE: FWD: Specimen Values

Bob Glotzhober bglotzhober at ohiohistory.org
Sat Nov 18 10:41:52 EST 2000

A long-standing policy at our museum is to never place a value on any
donation (we have natural history, archaeology, and history objects plus an
archives/library).  This gets into ethical questions such as are you
under/over valuing them, or valuing them low so that they are donated and
not sold.  What we do provide is a detailed list of objects and their
condition, which the donor signs over in a Deed of Gift.  It is their
responsibility then to assign the value or find an outside appraiser to
assign the value that they use on their income tax.  They have the deed of
gift (and we do too for our records) that proves they made the donation.
Also, if you provide a value, you stand in danger of getting in the middle
of a fight with IRS over their tax return.  No Thanks!