[NHCOLL-L:716] How do I stand up bird taxidermy mounts?

bhager at dmnhnet.org bhager at dmnhnet.org
Wed Sep 13 16:40:19 EDT 2000

I am working on improving the storage of our bird taxidermy mount
collection.  Some of the birds have no bases so I am trying to construct
some and other have wood bases and was trying to find an alternative.  Since
they have wire sticking out of the bottoms of their feet (and I am thinking
about birds like ducks, geese, hawks, eagles, etc)I need a base that is
conservation friendly and can support the weight of the bird.  Ethafoam
plank is good but too lightweight to support birds of these sizes.  Does
anyone know of a way to increase the support of an ethaform plank base or an
alternate product to use.

Britney Hager
Collections Manager
Dallas Museum of Natural History