[NHCOLL-L:733] RE: ground corn cob

Roberta Faul-Zeitler faulzeitler at ascoll.org
Wed Sep 27 10:13:14 EDT 2000

Sept. 27, 2000

Dear Elizabeth: Here are a few suggestions from my husband, who trained as a
soil scientist and is horticulturist in a botanic garden. His suggestions
are based on the need for more-or-less sterile material (no larvae and
pesticide residue or munchies for inhouse critters)

-- Play sand, which is fine white sand

-- Vermiculite (which is heated to 2000 degrees to process it)

-- Professional seedling mix (for the prof. hort industry) which is a
combination of vermiculite and peat.

-- Peat miss (horticultural grade- decomposed plant material that decomposes
anaerobically underwater)

Bobbie

Roberta Faul-Zeitler
Executive Director