[NHCOLL-L:1391] Sealing bones after DNA sampling.

Paul Scofield pscofield at cantmus.govt.nz
Wed Dec 12 22:34:28 EST 2001

We have recently have had various researchers sampling subfossil bird bones
in our collection for DNA using dremels and narrow gauge corers. This
generally leaves the marrow in the center of the bone exposed directly to
the air for the first time since the death of the bird. presumably it may be
important to seal up the hole to prevent contamination, excessive drying and
further DNA deterioration. I do feel that it is unnecessary to attempt to
make the bone look as good as new - this not only creates problems in
identifying what is natural and what is recreated but also gives a false
impression of the destructive nature of the sampling. Let be honest DNA
sampling -is destructive!

Does anyone have any suggestions on sound methods for sealing the bone after
sampling that don't detract too much from the aesthetic and morphometrically
important aspects of the bones.

Regards Paul Scofield

Collections Manager - Natural History
Canterbury Museum,