[NHCOLL-L:843] Re: compactor systems

John E. Simmons jsimmons at eagle.cc.ukans.edu
Fri Jan 12 14:57:28 EST 2001

We installed four floors of compactors for fluid-preserved collections.  It was
quite a learning experience, to say the least.  Based both on things we did an
did not do, I would recommend the following:

1.  Hire an architect or engineer to help write the bid specs
2.  Require in the bid that the winning company install a small "test unit" for
you to both confirm quality of materials and test for weight bearing, etc.  In
the case of an entomology collection, I assume a big issue would be vibrations
in the system, too.
3.  Although they tried mightly to see us an electrical system, we went with
mechanical, which is what I would recommend.  There are far few moving parts,
plus you CAN train people using the system to open and close the carriages
carefully.  The companies brag about the smooth operation of electrical
systems, but a mechanical system can be just as smooth with fewer parts to
break and motors to stop working.
4.  Do not depend on the closed compactors for pest control.  Get a system with
doors in front of the drawers.  Why on earth would you want to open, say, 50
cases of insects for one drawer?  With a door-less system, this is what you are
doing.  Drawers not only greatly impede the spread of museum collection pests,
they also preserve much better microenvironments for the long-term stability of
the collections in the drawers.
5.  Be sceptical of the claims of sales persons.  Although the system we bought
was of very high quality, several of the individual sales people were very
sleezy and several times untruthful.
6.  Make sure the layout of your system (aisles, clearances, height, etc) is
approved by your local fire marshall.  Don't count on being grandfathered in
under old safety regulations.

Good luck.

John E. Simmons
Natural History Museum