[NHCOLL-L:855] Dermestid colony question

Gretchen Anderson gretcha at smm.org
Fri Jan 19 11:59:26 EST 2001

Hello all,

We at the Science Museum of Minnesota have a new colony of  Dermestes
maculatus.  A Research Associate is concerned that the species is so
"voracious" that the beetles will damage certain delicate bone
structures on the small mammals (voles and others) he is studying (e.g.
nasal bones, plate edges, and hamuli).   My primary concern has always
been keeping the little darlings contained so as not to damage the rest
of our collections (been successful so far).  This concern is new to
me.  The beetles ARE voracious, that is why we use them.

Are some species more prone to damage bone than others?  Is this a valid
concern?  And, if so what species would be more appropriate for
processing small mammal skeletons?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!  Thank you.

--
Gretchen Anderson
Conservator

gretcha at smm.org