[NHCOLL-L:868] RE: Virtual Exhibit Questions and Inquires

K Tomasha ktomasha at mailsrv.lse.ualberta.ca
Fri Jan 26 10:30:00 EST 2001

 The University of Alberta, Department of Museums and Collections Services
is coordinating the development several virtual exhibits that will feature
specimens from the University's Natural and Human History Collections:
Vertebrate Paleontology, Entomology, and Archaeology (encompassing:
prehistoric lithic artefacts, fossil hominid casts and human osteological
remains).

At present research is currently being conducted in the area of copyright
and displaying digitized images of specimens on-line.
If possible we would like to ask a few questions that will aid Museums and
Collections Services in thoroughly covering all aspects of potential
problems that may arise from the use of specimens on-line.

1.	Has your organization ever encountered any copyright issues or
unforeseen complications from displaying fossil hominid casts on-line?

2.	In regard to using digitized images of fossil human remains, has
your organization received any negative feedback from the public or any
legal complications? If so what were they?

3.	The specimens that will be used on-line are the sole property of the
University of Alberta and to our knowledge we are able to display them in
any manner or form. However, have you experienced any difficulties
displaying images of specimens on-line? If so, what were they and how could
they have been prevented?

Thank you for your time and consideration with this matter. We appreciate
your input and suggestions. If you have any questions, comments or would
like to address any additional issues about this matter, please do not
hesitate to contact us.