[NHCOLL-L:1099] RE: recommendations for herbarium glues?

Carol Brynjolfson carolb at vanmuseum.bc.ca
Wed Jul 18 18:31:36 EDT 2001

I suggest that you contact the Canadian Conservation Institute about PVA
adhesives.  They have published a report 'Adhesive Testing at the Canadian
Conservation Institute - An Evaluation of Selected Poly(vinyl acetate) and
Acrylic Adhesives' EDR Report# 1603.  For referal to one of the scientists
who wrote the report and deal with adhesives, email them at
cci-icc_services at pch.gc.ca.  In order to purchase a copy of the report, the
email address is cci-icc_publications at pch.gc.ca.  They have tested various
adhesives over several years and have recommended several based on pH,
volative emissions, flexibility/brittleness, and yellowing.  I looked
through the report to see if Lineco was listed, but couldn't find it.  It is
quite possible that they have analyzed this adhesive since then and could
give you more information (especially if it has the same chemical
composition as one of the tested adhesives).

If the irritating odor smells like vinegar, then it is probably acetic acid.

You should also consider some of the acrylic emulsions recommended in the
report.

Carol Brynjolfson
Conservator
Vancouver Museum