[NHCOLL-L:939] Carolina parakeet & Passenger pigeon - values

Remko Jansonius rjansonius at miamisci.org
Mon Mar 12 15:03:16 EST 2001

Dear colleagues -

The insurance company that covers the collection in my museum has
asked how we have come to the  values placed on the most valuable
items in our collection, that being a Caroline parakeet and a
Passenger pigeon. I have no idea how the previous curator established
those values ...

Does anyone have a Carolina parakeet or a Passenger pigeon in his/her
collection? Was it officially appraised? Since they are extinct,
different rules may apply to their appraisals than for specimens that
are alive and kicking ...

I know issues like these have been discussed before, and I would go
to the archives, but they seem inaccessible, at least for now ...

Thanks for you input!

Remko Jansonius
Director of Collections
Miami Museum of Science