[NHCOLL-L:1304] Re: Juicy Fruit

Ann Pinzl apinzl at worldnet.att.net
Thu Nov 1 15:12:34 EST 2001

    Removal and separate treatment whether in fluid or microwaving as John Edmondson  suggested are probably the most direct and efficient means to deal with the situation yet I have a comment or two, especially since I have encountered the situation with some frequency.
    As for smallish juicy fruit, e.g.currants and gooseberries, I will prick the fruit before traditional drying (and I use a low heat with the presses) - it usually does the job ... with a little patience.  A lot more patience is required for those succulents, such as cacti  hinted at by John Nelson,  which are designed to retain water in the face of heat and injury  trauma in nature, but which face similar abuse when encountering a botanist intent on making it a specimen.  With cacti and such, I split the material  as best I can and remove as much tissue as possible.  I often use some wax paper over the cut portions, even if it might inhibit drying somewhat,  when it would seem that the newly exposed surfaces will stick to the newspaper.  Once the plants are pressed and over low heat, I don't even really look at them for 3 months or so, as it usually takes 6 or more months for them to finish drying. I once tried  drying the split cactus pads in a micro-wave and I wound up with crispy cactus chips (or crisps, for the British folk tuning in).  A colleague who specializes in cacti, carries an "ice chest" of alcohol into the field, splits and cleans the plant parts, puts them in a press (of aluminum mesh)  and then inserts the "press" into the alcohol.  I've tried it and the plants do dry quickly, but mine did turn out a bit crispy also and my Pediocactus (a globular one composed of spine-bearing bumps or mammae) essentially disintegrated ... perhaps I had "shaved off"  too much supporting tissue?  I am also concerned about what chemical information might be leached out in the alcohol bath.   I suppose some people still salt their specimens.

    Maybe there's some help there.

Ann Pinzl

apinzl at worldnet.att.net