[NHCOLL-L:1284] Handbook for insects collectors."

Vr. Richard Bejsak-Colloredo-Mansfeld ricardo at ans.com.au
Thu Oct 18 06:24:35 EDT 2001

George Hangay announced that he just started compiling a new book about
collecting
and different set up (preparation techniques) including relaxing and storage
specimens, what seems to me very interesting and useful idea.

If George H. is an Editor, why not to help him and add some interesting
techniques under YOUR name?
Why not to discuss what can be inside....
what chapters.. what we missing in others books and Handbooks. Lets go to
start with compiling the Index...

Even I will feel that " Handbook for insect collectors" will be a nice
name..
Therefore I just created myself what I like to have inside.... as index:

Index for   "Handbook for insects collectors."

Collecting:
    Where to collect insects?
    How to collect insects?
    Traps and trapping techniques?
    Basic and special equipment for collecting.
    Special collecting techniques for larvae, caterpillars and pupae.
    How to store unprepared and freshly collected material.
    Entomologist Diary.

Locality, GPS, maps etc.

Preparation - Setting up
    Preparation - Flea (microscopic preparation)
    Preparation - Beetle
    Preparation - Butterfly
    Preparation larvae and caterpillars

Useful recipes
    Kohle etc.

Collection
    What do you need.
    How big has to be collection.
    Identification
    Exchange
    Buying and selling
    How to preserving of collections - mould, pests
    How to repair damaged specimens
    How to donate collections or surplus specimens..

Index of Insects in "ordo" level. (look bottom of this message)

Bibliography
Alphabetical list of Museums with four letter code.
Useful websites.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

SAMPLE from Index of Insects:

PSYLLOIDEA
(jumping plantlice,echte Blattflöhe,..name in Eng.,Germ,
French,Russian,Span,Ital,Arab,Chinese)

Where: On flowers and plants, bushes and trees
How: Sweeping of the plants and shaking specimens to beating sheet
Preparation: as a fly. killing by 80% alcohol (for transferring specimens we
use tip of the wet brush or wet top of fine tweezers by alcohol). For
"transparency?" use 10% KOH. Important for study of Psyl. is wings. Wings
can be mounted as dry microscopic praeparatus.
Do not use chlorhydrate media.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Maybe even that could be good idea to have CD ROM or DVD attached to book.
On CD can be techniques as preparation as short film etc.

Keep care and be of good cheer.

Regards

(name) Vratislav Richard Eugene Maria John Baptist
(surname) of Bejsak (Bayshark)-Colloredo-Mansfeld

website: http://www.coleoptera.org
listserver: coleoptera on www.egroup.com/group/coleoptera/info.html
Coleoptera - Australia, Tenebrionidae of World
(incl. Lagriinae, Alleculinae)

University of Sydney
The Wentworth Bldg., Box 62
NSW 2006
AUSTRALIA
phone  :  +61 414 540 465
email: vratislav at bigfoot.com
           ricardo at ans.com.au
           (before Ricardo at compuserve.com
             and    ricardo at login.cz )

Only after the last tree has been cut down,
only after the last river has been poisoned,
only after the last fish has been caught,
only then will you find that money can not be eaten.'
        CREE INDIAN PROPHECY.

Incoming  mail is certified Virus Free.