[NHCOLL-L:1689] PET jars

Andy Bentley ABentley at ku.edu
Thu Aug 29 13:02:57 EDT 2002

Hi all

John Simmons and myself have been discussing the merits of using Plastic PET
(Polyethylene Terephthalate) jars for fluid collections.  PETG is probably
the most desiarble form to use, which is PET, Glycol Modified, which is
commonly used in medical and retail packaging.  We are putting together a
letter of intent to be sent to various plastics manufacturers to guage
interest.  We are looking for a company that can produce PET jars in a
number of sizes (6oz, 8oz, pint, quart, liter, two liter and gallon), all of
which will be straight sided with the opening the same diameter as the jar,
flat bottomed, well sealed and transparent with the possibility of a UV
filter substance combined with the PET.  These jars should be decidedly less
expensive and in every respect as good, or better than present alternatives.

Ideally we would be looking for a major company with branches or
subsidiaries worldwide so that these jars can be utilised in other countries
at the same direct cost without the need for expensive shipping (although
plastic will be a lot lighter to ship than glass).

We realise that for a company to bite we are going to have to convince them
that there is a market for these jars.  What we require from you is some
idea of your interest in this type of product and an idea of how many
bottles (estimate) you may purchase on a yearly basis.  Obviously the larger
the quantity the more cost effective the jars will end up being.  Also if
anyone has any ideas of companies that we could approach in this regard we
would apprecaite hearing from you.

Thanks

Andy

   A  :           A  :           A  :