[NHCOLL-L:1455] More info - Legislation Governing the Loan of Australian Museum andHerbariumSpecimens

Peter Frank PFRANK at MUS-NATURE.CA
Tue Feb 5 08:51:38 EST 2002

After reading the message that Sally forwarded to the list, I wrote to Angela Tsang for a copy of the form.  She replied that she is not really the person to contact but she sent me a copy anyway.  I had a few questions about the form so I emailed Environment Australia (the address is on the form).  The reply (see below) indicates that the Canadian Museum of Nature does not have to re-register because we are already registered with the Canadian CITES Secretariat.  Your institution may not have to re-register either but you should check it out.

Peter Frank
Chief Registrar
Canadian Museum of Nature

Reply from Environment Australia:

Mr Frank
It is correct that the new regulations apply to exchanges of both plant
and animal specimens (except live animals).
If you are listed on the Index Herbariorum, you can miss questions
10-13 and can be registered to exchange both plant and animal
specimens.
However, if your organisation is already registered with the Canadian
CITES secretariat, then you do not need an additional registration for
the purposes of exchanging non-CITES Australian native specimens. If
this applies, then you do not need to register with us, but just use
your CITES registration code when exchanging both types of specimens.

I hope this clarifies the issues for you.

Michelle

Michelle van der Voort
Wildlife Science and Management
Environment Australia