[NHCOLL-L:1485] Re: whale bone fossils fungus?

Joy Irving joyirving at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 20 06:55:20 EST 2002

Dear Angela,

The yellow powder sounds like pyrite decay caused by iron sulphide
oxidation.  This often happens to certain vulnerable fossils and minerals
that have been stored incorrectly, i.e., subjected to the daily highs and
lows of humidity / temperature.  Does the yellow powder have a strong acidic
/ sulphurous smell?  If you test it with pH paper, it will show up as pH
1-3.

The good news is that it can be treated using ammonia gas to neutralize the
acidity.  See the paper by Robert Waller (1987), An experimental ammonia gas
treatment method for oxidized pyritic mineral specimens.  ICOM 8th triennial
meeting preprints.  Sydney, 1987.  Or you could e-mail him at
RWALLER at MUS-NATURE.CA.

After treatment and then consolidation of the specimens (preferably with
Paraloid B.72 in acetone), it is really important to store them correctly,
i.e., at a constant low RH (approx. 30-35%RH), where they will not be
subjected to the daily fluctuations in humidity / temperature.  Since high
humidity will re-start the whole process, store in well-sealed polyethylene
boxes with correctly conditioned silica gel.

The 30-35%RH is a compromise, since bone material should be stored at about
45-50%RH, but oxidation of iron sulphides in the presence of water vapour
can happen, even at a low level, above 30%RH.  The important thing is that
the specimens are stored in a constant, non-fluctuating RH.

I hope this is of some help!

                           Joy Irving
              Oxford University Museum of Natural History
                             U.K.