[NHCOLL-L:1418] Bird beak

Sally Shelton Shelton.Sally at NMNH.SI.EDU
Fri Jan 4 14:31:51 EST 2002

The following was posted to the Conservation DistList. Please reply to that address, or directly to the original poster.

>>> consdist-request+consdist at lindy.stanford.edu 9:18:07 PM Thursday, January 03, 2002 >>>
Conservation DistList
Instance: 15:47
Thursday, January 3, 2002
------------------------------

Date: 2 Jan 2002
From: Cobus Van Breda <cvanbreda at tmag.tas.gov.au>
Subject: Bird beak

Our zoology curators have recently received a bird beak found on Macquarie Island (between Tasmania and Antarctica-very cold and wet). The species of bird to which the beak belongs is now believed to be extinct. The beak is small, about 1.5 cm long and appears quite stable. At present it is being kept wrapped in cotton wool within a small plastic jar in a domestic refrigerator. The preservation of material of this kind is not my field and given the significance of this object I would be interested to hear from anyone with experience with this type of material.