[NHCOLL-L:1429] Stamp-pad inks and self-inking stamps

Deborah A Lewis dlewis at iastate.edu
Wed Jan 16 17:18:13 EST 2002

Colleagues,

Is Actinic ink considered to be the only/best archivally permanent ink for
stamp pads? Are there any suppliers of self-inking stamps who use Actinic
or India ink or another good quality (or permanent) ink? What are most
folks using these days for stamping seals denoting the institution or other
uses on specimens or labels, either for stamp pads or self-inking stamps?
We are trying the "Actinic ink kit" with the wooden blocks for the first
time, and the student using it is complaining that the ink build-up on the
stamp is causing problems. Is there an easy solution to this? (She wants us
to get a self-inking stamp instead...)

While I don't recall this being discussed (at least not recently), please
let me know if this information is retrievable from the list archive. Many
thanks for any help!

Deb Lewis

Deborah Q. Lewis, Curator
Ada Hayden Herbarium (ISC)             E-mail: dlewis at iastate.edu
Department of Botany                        Phone: [1] 515-294-9499
Iowa State University                         FAX:  [1] 515-294-1337
Ames, IA  50011-1020