[NHCOLL-L:1624] Fw: Where are all the systematists?

Vr. Richard Bejsak-Colloredo-Mansfeld ricardo at ans.com.au
Tue Jun 18 18:10:39 EDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Petra Sierwald" <sierwald at FIELDMUSEUM.ORG>

Dear Colleagues,

Despite extensive, sometimes heated, discussion of the Biodiversity Crisis,
main aspect of biodiversity itself (the number of species and how to
recognize
them) is a poorly known parameter.  This is not surprising, since the number
of
systematists has dwindled. We were asked to explore the role Museums take in
training the new generation of systematists.  The results will be presented
at
ICSEB VI (International Congress of Systematic and Evolutionary Biology) in
Greece.
We would like to hear from Museums around the world. We will greatly
appreciate
if you  reply to the questions below and send the response back to one of us
(psierwald at fieldmuseum.org).
In return, we will post a summary of our findings on <Taxacom> in the fall
of
this year.

1.      How many graduate students/postdocs have you mentored during your
career
so far?

2.      For how many of these were you the primary advisor?

3.      How many of these achieved positions (Museums, Universities)
allowing
them to pursue systematics in their chosen taxonomic group?

4.      List the fields of the graduate students/postdocs: Vertebrates,
Invertebrates, Green Plants, Fungi, Microbes?

5.      During your own graduate work, did you spend considerable time at a
museum working in the collection?

6.      During your own graduate/postdoctoral work were you mentored by a
museum
curator/researcher?

7.      Is your Museum directly affiliated with a university?

_____
If you have data for other sections in your museum, we would greatly
appreciate
your replies below.

1.      How many graduate students, working on systematic thesis-projects,
have
recently been residents in your museums?

2.      How many of these students work closely with or are being mentored
by a
museum research staff member?

3.      For how many of these students is a museum research staff members
the
primary thesis advisor?

4.      How many postdoctoral fellows in systematics are currently in
residence
at your museum?

5.      List the fields of the graduate students/postdocs: Vertebrates,
Invertebrates, Green Plants, Fungi, Microbes?

Thank you so very much for your replies.

We will post a summary of our results no later than November 2002.

With best regards

Petra Sierwald & Rüdiger Bieler

***************************************

Petra Sierwald, Assistant Curator - Zoology, Insects
Field Museum of Natural History, 1400 S Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL 60605, USA.
E-mail: <psierwald at fieldmuseum.org>

Phone: (312) 665-7744; Fax: (312) 665-7754
http://www.fmnh.org/research_collections/zoology/zoo_sites/millipeet/home.ht
ml

Rudiger Bieler -- Chairman, Department of Zoology
Field Museum of Natural History, 1400 S. Lake Shore Drive,
Chicago, IL 60605-2496, U.S.A
E-mail <bieler at fieldmuseum.org>
Phone +1(312) 665-7720; Fax +1(312) 665-7754
http://peet.fieldmuseum.org/

Museum web page: <http://www.fieldmuseum.org>