[NHCOLL-L:1734] Informal Irish Elk Survey

White, Rich rich at thewildlifemuseum.org
Tue Oct 22 18:14:53 EDT 2002

I thought that the list might be interested in the results of my informal survey.  I had read (heard?) somewhere that most of the Irish Elk antlers on display were shed sets which had been mounted on plaster skull casts.

I received 19 replies listing a total of 27 skulls with antlers. Only one had a cast skull, all others were real skulls.  Two of the 26 real skulls had shed antlers attached to a skull, the rest were said to be the original antlers. Five replies mentioned mounted skeletons, but most did not indicate if the skull being reported accompanied a skeleton.  Eight replies came from the US, six from England, 3 from Canada, and one each from Australia and New Zealand.

Thanks to everyone for the information!

(Excuse the cross posting)

Richard S. White, Director
International Wildlife Museum