[NHCOLL-L:1736] removing mold from specimens

Dennis Paulson dpaulson at ups.edu
Wed Oct 23 12:56:25 EDT 2002

Hello all,

We just discovered that our "fur room," the cold room in which we keep
large mammal pelts, had a dramatic increase in humidity some time within
the last few weeks.  We are now trying to figure out what happened and how
to deal with it, but in the meantime, so much water accumulated as
condensation on the specimens that many of them have substantial gardens of
mold (looks just like the kinds I sometimes find on my vegetables or cheese
in the refrigerator), mostly on hooves and claws but even on skins.  We
would welcome suggestions on the best solutions (literally) for removing
mold from such surfaces.  Thanks!

Dennis

Dennis Paulson, Director                           phone 253-879-3798
Slater Museum of Natural History                 fax 253-879-3352
University of Puget Sound                       e-mail dpaulson at ups.edu
1500 N. Warner, #1088
Tacoma, WA 98416-1088
http://www.ups.edu/biology/museum/museum.html