[NHCOLL-L:1746] preserving Araucaria cone

Linda Klise linda.klise at yale.edu
Tue Oct 29 08:20:08 EST 2002

Hello,
I am wondering if someone can help me.  I am currently working on an
exhibit displaying petrified wood from Arizona.  In the display fossil
araucarian cones are being compared to a living Araucaria brasiliana cone
which I just received from Brazil.  These cones break up and lose their
color quickly.  My question is how does one preserve the living cone for
exhibit?  I know that historically wire mesh was used to keep the cones
intact.  I have thought about using a hairnet then placing the cone in FAA.

                                                         Thanks,

                                                         Linda Klise