[NHCOLL-L:1912] Re: Loans

Diane Gutenkauf dgutenka at mortonarb.org
Tue Apr 22 13:31:12 EDT 2003

I have a copy of the results of a Registrar's Committee survey of loan fees among member institutions. I don't want to post it to the list so anyone interested in a copy should contact me off list. It's an Excel file.

Most of us face increased requests to loan our collections and decreased financial support from our institutions to pay for staff time to process these loans. The RC-AAM has been discussing this topic for several years and most of us have faced the need to charge our peers for these requests. Common fees include a set loan fee for staff time that covers all the things listed below (condition reporting, paperwork, etc.) plus additional fees for conservation work, packing and crating, insurance, and shipping.

Please contact me at the e-mail below for a copy of the loan fee spreadsheet.

Diane Gutenkauf
Manager, Interpretation & Exhibits
The Morton Arboretum
4100 Illinois Route 53
Lisle IL 60532
630.719.2461 (v)
630.719.2433 (f)
dgutenka at mortonarb.org

>>> "Gamble, Tim" <timg at cityofgastonia.com> 04/22/03 10:30AM >>>
It seems to me that over the last few years there has been a major shift in the number of museums and institutions charging for loans of objects for exhibit by other institutions.  In the past most lenders would charge for direct costs such as shipping, but today many (most?) also charge for more indirect costs such as staff time to process the loan (pulling the pieces from storage, condition reporting, etc.).  I have also, for the first time, come across institutions that as a matter of policy no longer provide loans to other institutions at all.  The reasons for these changes are obvious - budget cuts and staff reductions during the poor economy over the last couple of years.  What I am wondering is if anyone has any idea of the percentage of museums that now charge, beyond shipping charges, to provide loans and the percentage of museums that no longer provide loans at all?  And what is the going rate that is charged, or does the rate vary greatly from museum to museum?

Finally, the purpose of holding collections is so that they can be used for educational (exhibits and programs) and/or research purposes.  Doesn't charging steep fees or not providing loans at all defeat the purpose for holding collections?  Again, I understand the economic realities behind these decisions, but am wondering how the economic considerations are balanced with mission statements and other non-economic considerations?

Thank you,

Timothy Gamble

Schiele Museum of Natural History
1500 E. Garrison Blvd.