[NHCOLL-L:2025] cleaning coral specimens

Fothergill, Helen (LIFELONG LEARNING) Helen.Fothergill at plymouth.gov.uk
Mon Aug 11 10:41:16 EDT 2003

Dear list
I'm currently planning to re-display some of my coral collection.
It is un-provenanced and has no associated data.
The specimens have accumulated over 100 years worth of dust.
Can anyone advise me on a safe (to the specimen) but effective way of
cleaning these fragile objects.
I had read that immersing specimens in a wetting solution of Teepol, then
air drying can give good results ... but not sure about the long-term
effects.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
Helen

Helen Fothergill
Keeper of Natural History
Plymouth City Museum & Art Gallery
Drake Circus, Plymouth, Devon, PL4 8AJ, U.K.
T: +44 (0)1752 304774          F: +44 (0)1752 304775
W: www.plymouthmuseum.gov.uk