[NHCOLL-L:2028] genbank

Robert Hanner rhanner at coriell.umdnj.edu
Mon Aug 11 11:39:07 EDT 2003

Greetings NHColl,

As a former Curatorial Associate at the AMNH and designer of their
Ambrose Monell Cryo Collection (AM-CC), I have a few words to offer
on the voucher specimen/Genbank accession thread:

Linking sequence data to voucher specimens is of critical importance
and there are pubs in the literature calling for more widespread
inclusion of museum catalog numbers of voucher specimens associated
with GenBank submissions (see attached pdf from terry yates lab, for
example).

The microbial sequences always reference a strain number while most
botanical sequences reference an herbarium sheet number. It is the
animal folks who have yet to get their act together. Una is correct
in that there is no formal policy requiring a catalog number but that
it can be included. Ultimately, it would  be nice if NCBI could offer
greater atomization of this provenance data into distinct fields, but
the point is - there is a way to include this data and responsible
users do so. Our tissue collections should include in their loan
policies the requirement that 1) all sequence data from their
materials be deposited in the public domain 2) that sequence
submissions must include reference to the catalog number of the
museum voucher specimen and 3) genbank accession numbers be reported
back to the museum for inclusion in their catalogs.

There are lots of sequences from museum specimens which cannot be
attributed to the voucher because this information was not recorded
and even when it was, mining this data is not straightforward
(although see link below for the Berkeley initiative).

As President of the International Society for Biological and
Environmental Repositories (ISBER) I advocate linking electronic
catalogs of tissue collections with Genbank as a best practice. This
can be done via the linkout feature (for information on Linkout see:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/linkout/ )

We managed to get it implemented while I was at AMNH (see the online
catalog at http://research.amnh.org/amcc/) If there has been a
genbank submission for a particular specimen and this data has been
recorded in the catalog, it will show up as a hotlink and clicking on
it will take you directly to the sequence from that specimen. Also,
if the catalog number of the specimen has been submitted with the
sequence data to genbank, you can go from the sequence in GenBank to
the online catalog entry for the voucher specimen in the museum by
using the Linkout hotlink in Genbank.  We are also implementing it
here at Coriell for the nonhuman primate tissue bank
(http://www.ipbir.org/).  Gordon Jarrell has also done this at UAM
(see: http://arctos.museum.uaf.edu:8080/) and now Berkeley is
following suit as well, in an attempt to link data already submitted
from their collections (see:
http://bnhmdev.berkeley.edu/genbank/index.php).

Next year, there will be a joint meeting of SPNHC and ISBER at the
AMNH in mid-May. If there is sufficient interest, perhaps we could
ask NCBI to host a workshop for data managers on how to link online
catalogs as part of the proceedings. We had a similar presentation at
the ISBER meeting last May in Philadelphia. NCBI understands the
importance of voucher specimens and they are willing to work with us.
It is the user community which must be educated on the need for
depositing vouchers as well as journal editors who must not let
people publish papers without reference to voucher specimens!!!

Robert Hanner, Ph.D.
Scientific Program Director
Coriell Institute for Medical Research
403 Haddon Avenue
Camden, NJ 08103

Voice: (856) 757-9727
Fax: (856) 757-9737
http://cimr.umdnj.edu

President
International Society for Biological and Environmental Repositories
http://www.ISBER.org