[NHCOLL-L:2047] taxidermy collections

Christina Phillips cphillip at mail.nysed.gov
Tue Aug 19 12:34:14 EDT 2003

Our Museum's Teaching Collection has a wide variety of taxidermy
specimens that were either bought in the past couple of years or turned
over from our Zoology Department.

Recent purchases are not arsenic treated, however many, if not all of
the older specimens are arsenic treated.
As of right now we are in the process of trying to identify those that
are chemically treated.  Ultimately we would like to "weed" most of
these out of the collection due to close contact with children,
educators, etc.  Of course there will be several pieces, due to their
importance and limited ability to find replacements, where we will not
be able to "weed" everything out.

Has anyone else out there dealt with a similar situation?  If so:
1.  How do you display arsenic treated specimens for school groups in
classrooms?
2.  For those pieces designated as disposals, did you contact other
organizations to see if they wanted them, or have the disposal
considered as a Hazardous Waste?
3.  How do you store & clean any arsenic specimens or shelving they
rest on?

I'm also interested in any Management policies for taxidermy
collections not treated with arsenic.
1.  How often do you check for pest problems?
2.  How do you deal with pest problems?  Freezing, etc.?

Thank You!

Christina M. Phillips
New York State Museum
Museum Collections Coordinator