[NHCOLL-L:2155] RE: AAM Position Statement

Juliette Goetzee jgoetzee at idc.nl
Wed Dec 3 03:44:22 EST 2003

Dear All,

I work for IDC Publishers in Leiden (The Netherlands) where I am responsible for all publications in the field of History of Science.
I am not sure if all of you are familiar with IDC Publishers. IDC has distinguished itself in academic publishing by accessing and preserving primary sources and rare archival materials on microform and, more recently, in electronic formats.
In the past we have worked with a lot of different institutes, museums and libraries all over the world
Our publications in the field of History of Natural Sciences range from historical serial and monograph titles to 46 complete historical herbaria on microfiche.
The filming of these collections always have two important goals: one is the preservation of the valuable historical material. The other important reason is to make these collections available to other researchers by providing a microform copy of the collections.

For a listing of our publications you can also visit our website at www.idc.nl . (If you go to "catalog" you can choose different areas and you'll find: History of Science )
Some examples of historical herbaria we have filmed over the years are the Linnaean Herbarium, The Van Royen Herbarium, The Siberian section of the Komarov Institute Herbarium and many more. Apart from that you will also find a title list of more than 6,000 monograph titles from about 25 different locations in the world.

Hereby I want to let you know that if you have important historical collections that are in need of preservation or which you would like to be more exposed to other researchers or countries, please let me know.
You can reach me via this email address or the address and phone number below.
Of course you can always contact me with other questions like the exact way we work etc. or other issues concerning preservation of historical collections. I didn't want to explain that fully in this email to limit the text.

Looking forward to your reactions and possible cooperation in preserving important historical material.

Kind Regards,

Juliette Goetzee

Juliette Goetzee

IDC Publishers