[NHCOLL-L:1824] Mold in the desert

Tim White tim.white at yale.edu
Tue Feb 4 11:19:15 EST 2003

This just in.....

A small institution nearby has found a mold invasion (probably due to a leak
behind the wall) that has spread from the wall to nearby boxes.  We plan to
throw away the boxes, but wonder what steps we need to take with the objects
(mostly textiles) which were stored in the boxes.  They were in plastic bags
in the boxes, and we can't see any sign of mold in the boxes.

We plan to freeze the objects, but wonder if anyone can give us info on the
time we need to leave them in the freezer.  Any other ideas to make sure the
mold spores are gone?

The room is temperature controlled (about 60 F) and humidified (around 40%
ideally, but with some variation---sensors show it got above 60% at one point
this winter).  Should we keep it at these levels, or change anything?

Thank you for any input.  We aren't used to dealing with mold here in the
desert.

Dr. Laurel Casjens
Research Curator
Utah Museum of Natural History