[NHCOLL-L:1928] Archiving Rite in the Rain, all-weather writing paper

Alexandra M. Snyder amsnyder at unm.edu
Tue May 6 15:49:30 EDT 2003

I need suggestions for an appropriate way to conserve, if possible, field
notes written in pencil, on Rite in the Rain paper manufactured by J.L.
Darling Corporation.  Most of our fish collections are received from
government agencies and the favorite field note paper is "Rite 'n Rain."
It is an extremely useful product for people doing "wet work" but the notes
never get transferred to a more "archivally correct" paper for the Division
of Fishes field book library.  And, without complaining, I must take what
I can get...in order to get original data in a timely manner for these
collections. (I am slowly bringing some of the contributors around to the
idea of using our acid free preprinted field notes, but it takes time and
collections are received all year long.)

Anyway, I want to know if anyone on the list has longterm experience with
archiving notes written in pencil on this paper. I know from past
experience that is does not make a good "wet label" in that it delaminates
over time...but what happens to Rite in the Rain, in a dry condition, over
time?

Your attention to this question is greatly appreciated.
Alexandra M. Snyder, Collection Manager
Division of Fishes   MSC30 2020
Museum of Southwestern Biology
University of New Mexico