[NHCOLL-L:2114] University of Iowa Herbarium - Update

Diana Horton diana-horton at uiowa.edu
Tue Oct 21 17:11:38 EDT 2003

The Decision to Transfer the University of Iowa Herbarium
To Iowa State:  The Facts

SYNOPSIS

         The University of Iowa Herbarium was established by 1869, if not
earlier, after the Iowa General Assembly mandated that the University would
make, maintain and exhibit a Cabinet of Natural History, which later became
the Museum of Natural History.  The Herbarium was the first in the state
and its development reflects the efforts of generations of Iowa scholars,
including Thomas Huston Macbride, Bohumil Shimek, Henry Conard and Robert
Thorne.  The collection is comprised of approximately 250,000 dried and
fossil plant specimens from all over the world, but the primary focus is
Iowa and North America.  It houses the only major collections of bryophytes
and plant fossils in the state.

         In December 2001, University of Iowa Dean Maxson decided to
transfer the Herbarium to Iowa State University.  Since then, a diverse
group of faculty, staff, students and the public have fought this decision,
internally initially and more recently in public.  Our strenuous efforts to
stop the transfer continue and we again solicit letters of support -- with
particular gratitude to those who already have written! -- to President
Skorton at david-skorton at uiowa.edu, with a copy to me at
diana-horton at uiowa.edu.  Your letters are an effective tool to promote our
cause.  They empower us!

Recently, under the Freedom of Information Act, we have accessed letters
and statements concerning the Herbarium by three University of Iowa
administrators.  These documents contain, whether purposefully or not,
inaccuracies, misrepresentations and distortions, and we believe that some
or all of these documents have been provided to the National Science
Foundation (NSF).  The purpose of this communication is to elucidate the
most notable fallacies in these documents and to provide an accurate record
of the situation regarding the Herbarium.

         The essential facts are:
1.      The precedent-setting decision to transfer the University of Iowa
Herbarium to Iowa State evaded normal due process.  Rather than a
transparent, public process, the decision appears to have been essentially
unilateral, with successive administrators endorsing predecessor's
decisions, and without any serious consideration of opposing viewpoints.

2.      The research focus of the Department of Biological Sciences may
have shifted; however, the Herbarium is a university facility utilized by
diverse groups.  Furthermore, the Herbarium plays a fundamental role in the
thriving, interdisciplinary Environmental Sciences Program.

3.      Current activity levels in the Herbarium are robust, reflecting
active use of the collection by faculty, students, staff and the public of
eastern Iowa.  Over the last ten years, 100 publications/reports/creative
works and over 30 theses have been based on use of the Herbarium.  Over the
same 10 year period, class use of the Herbarium averaged over 300
students/yr in 10-12 courses.  We have an active outreach program that
includes presentations to conservation groups, schools and colleges, and
the Herbarium web site averages over 4,000 Requests for Pages and over
1,000 Distinct Hosts Served monthly.  A fundamental purpose of all of our
efforts to increase visibility and raise public consciousness of the
Herbarium has been to develop a strong foundation for resubmission of an
NSF proposal for collections' support.

4.      Funding is available at the University of Iowa for immediate and
long-term Herbarium maintenance.  An interdisciplinary environmental group,
the Center for Global and Regional Environmental Research
(http://atmos.cgrer.uiowa.edu) that is funded directly by the state
legislature, independent of the University's budget, has pledged continuing
funds for the Herbarium staff position.  A bequest, estimated at $250,000,
has been pledged provided the Herbarium remains at Iowa.  The Friends of
the University of Iowa Herbarium, a nonprofit corporation, is engaged in an
effort to raise a $500,000 endowment.

5.      There is space for the Herbarium on the University of Iowa
campus.  One ideal site is Macbride Hall, a building specifically designed
for the Museum of Natural History and its collections, and named in honour
of one of the first Herbarium curators.  Approximately 4,000 square feet of
space is occupied by just 20 graduate student cubicles; the Herbarium
requires just over 2,000 square feet.

6.      The University of Iowa and Iowa State Herbaria are well cared for,
secure, and most accessible in their current locations.  Having a
collection in eastern Iowa is crucial to ensuring that biodiversity
investigations of this part of the state continue.

THE DETAILS
Background

On December 4, 2001, I was informed that Dean Linda Maxson of the
University of Iowa College of Liberal Arts and Sciences had decided to
transfer the Herbarium to Iowa State University.  Since then, a diverse
group of faculty, staff, students and the public of eastern Iowa have
fought this decision.  Our resistance began internally, with a year of
traditional, diplomatic efforts, but when that approach yielded no results,
we felt we had no alternative but to move into the public arena  even to
the extent of marching in the Homecoming Parade!  We continue our
resistance for a multitude of reasons.  Paramount among these are:
o       The Herbarium represents an irreplaceable cultural and natural
historical resource for the University of Iowa and eastern Iowa

o       The Herbarium was established as part of the Museum of Natural
History and its divestment would represent the first step in dismantling
the similarly imperiled Museum

o       The Herbarium is a vital resource for University of Iowa faculty in
multiple disciplines; for related facilities, including the Center for
Global and Regional Environmental Research, the Office of the State
Archeologist, the Iowa Geological Survey, the State Historical Society and
the University of Iowa Collections Coalition; for students in the
interdisciplinary Environmental Sciences Program, in Biological Sciences
and Liberal Arts; for staff; and for the public of eastern Iowa

o       Loss of the Herbarium would seriously impede environmental studies
and conservation of the remnants of natural habitats in eastern Iowa, the
part of the state with the greatest biodiversity

o       This country can ill afford the loss of even one state
institutional collection, and the consciousness it raises about organismal
diversity and the need for conservation right here in the U.S.  For each
collection that is lost, the remainder are that much more imperiled.

I am deeply grateful to those of you who have lent your support to our
endeavours by writing to President Skorton.  Some others who have not, have
suggested that this is an institutional issue and University of Iowa
administrators will not be interested in comments from researchers outside
of Iowa.  Based on our experiences of the past two years, I am convinced of
just the opposite.  Your letters empower us!  Administrators do not like
negative publicity, most particularly not in a national academic
forum.  Letters from the taxonomic community provide irrefutable evidence
that this University is gaining notoriety as a consequence of this
deplorable decision and the way this matter has been handled. In the happy
event that we are successful in turning this situation around, the entire
taxonomic community benefits.  If any of you would like to add your voices,
please write to President Skorton at david-skorton at uiowa.edu, but ensure
that we are aware of your support by copying to me at diana-horton at uiowa.edu.

Recent Developments

Recently, under the Freedom of Information Act, we have accessed letters
and statements concerning the Herbarium by University of Iowa President
David Skorton, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Dean Linda Maxson, and
Department of Biological Sciences Chair Jack Lilien.  These documents
contain, whether purposefully or not, inaccuracies, misrepresentations and
distortions, and we believe that some or all of these documents have been
provided to the National Science Foundation (NSF).  The purpose of this
communication is to elucidate the most notable fallacies in these documents
and to provide an accurate record of the situation regarding the Iowa
Herbarium.
1.      The precedent-setting decision to transfer the Iowa Herbarium to
Iowa State evaded normal due process.

In a statement of June 1, 2003, President Skorton noted that "The decision
has been pondered by the Department, the office of the Dean, the office of
the Vice President, by three presidents, and by the community".  In a
letter of June 10, 2003 to an NSF director, Dean Maxson asserted that "The
merger was approved in 2002 under standard UI procedures for
decision-making about use of resources.  A recommendation from the Chair of
Biological Sciences was approved by me in May and subsequently by the
President's Council on Strategic Implementation in June 2002.  The decision
made by then-UI President Mary Sue Coleman was upheld by her successor,
interim President Willard S. Boyd, and by the current UI President, David
Skorton.  In each successive consideration of the merger, the University
took public comments into consideration."  In a June 23, 2003 letter to an
NSF director, Chair Lilien stated that "After thorough study, including
open meetings with three university presidents, a public forum in which the
lay community was invited to participate, and numerous discussions within
the college and department, it was concluded that merger with the Iowa
State Herbarium was the most practical choice".  In the College's
assessment of the Herbarium, provided to the NSF director with the Dean's
letter of June 10, 2003, it is reported that the Dean's Office had received
19 letters and e-mails in support of the Herbarium, and one letter from a
student who was using the Herbarium for an Honour's thesis project.

         In fact:
-       on December 1, 2001, before I, the Curator, had even been informed
of the decision, Dean Maxson sent an e-mail to an NSF director, seeking
"discretionary funds for emergencies", to expedite transfer of the
Herbarium.  The Dean incorrectly stated that the Iowa Herbarium lacks a
Curator, and that the collections face damage and deterioration the longer
they remain at Iowa.

-       the decision of the President's Council on Strategic Implementation
was based upon an assessment of the Herbarium provided by Dean
Maxson.  This assessment, which was included in her letter of June 10,
2003, contradicts extensive data I provided to administrators on the
Herbarium's contributions to research and teaching, and minimizes the role
of the Herbarium in both areas.  Yet, I never was informed of these
damaging comments and therefore had no opportunity to respond to their
validity.

-       there was no vote, either by the faculty or the Executive Committee
of Biological Sciences, regarding the transfer of the Herbarium.

-       there is no evidence, in materials obtained under the Freedom of
Information Act, that the Chair of Biological Sciences formally recommended
that the Herbarium be transferred.

-       all meetings with administrators were initiated by Herbarium
supporters, and only one took place prior to President Coleman formalizing
the decision on June 21, 2002.  The public forum referenced by Chair Lilien
was organized by Herbarium supporters and, after repeated requests that the
President participate or send his representative, he agreed to send a
representative.  Furthermore, at most meetings, administrators either
openly stated, or made clear by their demeanor, that they had no intention
of reversing the decision.  For example, President Skorton's initial
statement at a meeting with students on April 21, 2003, was reportedly that
he had no intention of changing the decision to transfer the Herbarium.

-       Administrators' responses to letters of protest from faculty,
students, staff and the public generally have favoured or outright affirmed
the decision to transfer the Herbarium.

-       more than 55 letters and e-mails of protest have been sent to
administrators; 27 letters of protest have been published in local
newspapers; a student petition with over 120 signatures was sent to
then-President Coleman; a petition bearing over 1,500 signatures of
faculty, students and residents of Iowa recently was presented to President
Skorton

-       when the petition with over 1,500 signatures was given to President
Skorton, he immediately responded that no number of signatures on a
petition would move him to change the decision.

2.      The research focus of the Department of Biological Sciences may
have shifted; however, the Herbarium is a university facility utilized by
diverse groups.  Furthermore, the Herbarium plays a fundamental role in the
thriving, interdisciplinary Environmental Sciences Program.

President Skorton (statement of June 1, 2003), Dean Maxson (letter and
statement of June 10, 2003) and Chair Lilien (letter of June 23, 2003) all
have reported that the research focus in the Department of Biological
Sciences has changed at Iowa since the merger of the Botany and Biology
Departments in 1992.  Chair Lilien stated that current research areas
include Molecular Evolution (Comparative Genomics), Cell and Developmental
Biology, Neurobiology, Genetics and Biotechnology, and Plant Molecular
Biology and Physiology.  Dean Maxson noted that the "Department's hiring
plans do not include replacement of scholarly interests of remaining
faculty in organismal biology when they resign/retire".

         In fact:
-       according to the Department of Biological Sciences web site
(http://www.biology.uiowa.edu/faculty.php), the research areas are
Evolution and Ecology, Cell and Developmental Biology, Neurobiology,
Genetics and Biotechnology, Plant Physiology and Molecular Biology

-       a reliable source recently told me that the Department plans to
advertise a position for an ecologist later this year

-       administrators have not mentioned the increasingly popular
Environmental Sciences Program.  An average of over 70 students/yr are
enrolled in this interdisciplinary Program and most declare the Biosciences
Track as their focus.  The Herbarium is an integral resource for several
Environmental Sciences courses.

-       the Herbarium is a university, not departmental, facility that is
utilized by faculty, students and staff representing diverse disciplines
and user groups, including the Center for Global and Regional Environmental
Research, the Office of the State Archaeologist, the Museum of Natural
History, the State Historical Society, the Iowa Geological Survey and the
University of Iowa Collections Coalition.

-       If the Department of Biological Sciences no longer wishes to
provide administrative oversight for the Herbarium, there is no need to
transfer the Herbarium to Iowa State University.  The University of Iowa
Center for Global and Regional Environmental Research has offered to serve
as administrative home for the Herbarium.  This would be particularly
appropriate in view of the interdisciplinary nature of this group and its
environmental focus.

3.      Current activity levels in the Herbarium are robust, reflecting
active use by faculty, students, staff and the public of eastern Iowa.

President Skorton (statement of June 1, 2003) reported that regular
classroom use of the Herbarium was "very limited and restricted to tours"
and that the number of research articles citing the Herbarium was very
limited.  Dean Maxson (letter of June 10, 2003) reported that only 54 of 69
journal articles in a list submitted by me could be located and that only
13 of these "directly cited or acknowledged" the Herbarium.  She concluded
that the "paucity of citations and acknowledgements indicates that, even
for those researchers who visited the Herbarium, it had no evident impact
on their scholarship".  With respect to classroom usage, Chair Lilien
(letter of June 23, 2003) reported that the Herbarium is mentioned in two
syllabi, and suggested that usage by all the other courses is anecdotal or
sporadic.  He also noted that enrollment in all courses applied to the
Biological Sciences major is falling.

         In fact:
-       copies of all publications based on use of the Herbarium could have
been provided to administrators had they been requested.

-       the list of publications, reports, creative works and theses based
on the Herbarium is extensive
(http://atmos.cgrer.uiowa.edu/herbarium/HerbariumPublications1989-2003.htm).
Over the last ten years, at least 73 refereed publications, 26 non-refereed
publications/reports/creative works and 30 theses have been based on use of
the Herbarium.  The fact that many of these fail to formally acknowledge or
cite usage of the Herbarium simply reflects the fact that herbaria, like
libraries, are such a fundamental resource that researchers frequently
overlook acknowledgement.

-       the list of courses that utilize the Herbarium, and the number of
students who learn about collections-based research through this medium,
reflect the educational utility of this collection
(http://atmos.cgrer.uiowa.edu/herbarium/HerbUgrEd2003.htm).  The fact that
some syllabi make no mention of the Herbarium does not in any way indicate
that usage is merely anecdotal or sporadic.  For example, in Plant
Diversity and Evolution, the Herbarium per se is not mentioned in the
syllabus, but Herbarium specimens are utilized in virtually every
class.  In fact, they are the materials that make the class possible!  The
fact that course offerings change over time does not reflect negatively on
the Herbarium.  Irrespective of changes in course offerings, the Herbarium
consistently has played a significant role in the education of, on average,
over 300 students/yr in 10-12 courses since 1993.

-       the Herbarium is a fundamental resource for the interdisciplinary
Environmental Sciences Program, yet this increasingly popular degree
program is nowhere mentioned by administrators in their assessment of
Herbarium usage

-       the Herbarium is listed in at least four syllabi, including
Systematics (2:140), Introduction to Botany (2:001), Biogeography
(2:103/44:103), and Collection Care and Management (24:120)

-       enrollment in two of the Biological Sciences Degree courses that I
teach, Systematics and Biogeography, has increased to the extent that, a
year ago, Chair Lilien requested that I open Biogeography up to a maximum
of 60 rather than 40 students.  Enrollment in my Systematics course has
similarly increased, but has been limited to approximately 30 students by
the size of the room where it is taught.

-       the Herbarium is accessed by faculty, students, staff and the
public in connection with plant identifications on a daily basis,
frequently multiple times during the growing season.

-       the Herbarium has developed an active outreach program that
involves presentations to conservation groups and students from local
colleges and schools.  The Herbarium web site
(http://atmos.cgrer.uiowa.edu/herbarium) is an important educational and
outreach tool that has averaged over 4,400 Requests for Pages and over
1,100 Distinct Hosts Served monthly for the 18 months it has been on-line
(http://atmos.cgrer.uiowa.edu/herbarium/WebSiteOct2003.htm).

-       An underlying purpose of all of our efforts to increase visibility
and raise public consciousness of the Herbarium has been to develop a
strong foundation for resubmission of an NSF proposal for collections' support.

4.      Funding is available at the University of Iowa for immediate and
long-term Herbarium maintenance.

President Skorton (statement of June 1, 2003) and Dean Maxson (letter of
June 10, 2003) noted that salary for a staff position and for operating
expenses would be needed.  The salary for the half-time staff position was
$20,590 in FY2002 and operating expenses are estimated at $1,000/year.

         In fact:
-       the Center for Global and Regional Environmental Research (CGRER)
(http://atmos.cgrer.uiowa.edu), an interdisciplinary environmental group
that receives its funding directly from the state legislature (this is
significant in that CGRER's funding is independent of the University's
budget), has pledged funds, on a continuing basis, for the staff position
for the Herbarium.

-       there is a bequest, contingent on the Herbarium remaining at the
University of Iowa, estimated at $250,000.  The entire bequest is to the
Herbarium.  If used as an endowment, this would yield $12,500/year (at 5%).

-       the Friends of the University of Iowa Herbarium, a non-profit
corporation, is engaged in an effort to raise a $500,000 endowment for the
Herbarium.

-       in these times of fiscal constraint, University of Iowa
administrators maintain that lack of funds is one reason the Herbarium must
be transferred, yet they have pledged $25,000 to cover the cost of packing
and transporting the collection to Iowa State.

-       in these times of fiscal constraint, President Skorton maintains
that lack of funds is one reason the Herbarium must be transferred, yet in
his statement of June1, 2003, he suggested that expending up to $25,000/yr
for faculty and students to travel to Iowa State to access the herbarium
there would be less costly than keeping the Herbarium at the University of
Iowa.

5.      There is space for the Herbarium on the University of Iowa campus.

President Skorton (statement of June 1, 2003), Dean Maxson (letter of June
10, 2003) and Chair Lilien (letter of June 23, 2003) reported that there is
no suitable space to house the Herbarium and no funds to renovate
space.  President Skorton noted that space in Macbride Hall is occupied and
used heavily by TAs.  He also noted that there is insufficient power to air
condition this space.

         In fact:
-       Macbride Hall would be an ideal situation for the Herbarium for
several reasons.  The building was specifically designed for collections
(e.g., the walls are three feet thick to reduce temperature and humidity
fluctuations), its name commemorates one of the first Herbarium curators,
and it houses the Museum of Natural History.  In one part of the building,
approximately 4,000 square feet of space is occupied by just 20 graduate
student cubicles.  Since the Herbarium requires just over 2,000 square feet
of space, it is clear that both graduate students and the Herbarium could
be accommodated.  Other parts of this building are air conditioned; an
independent analysis of the feasibility of air conditioning this area is
needed.

-       the existence of under-utilized space in Macbride Hall demonstrates
that, even though space always is a contentious issue, it nevertheless
exists, even in the heart of the campus.

6.      The University of Iowa and Iowa State Herbaria are well cared for,
secure, and most accessible in their current locations.

President Skorton (statement of June 1, 2003) conceded that transfer of the
Herbarium to Ames would present a "level of inconvenience for Iowa scholars
and students who would prefer local access".  However, he asserted that
Iowa personnel and students can borrow specimens and it will be possible to
arrange University of Iowa sponsored travel to Ames.  He also suggested
that "Some remote use of the combined collection may be feasible" and noted
that "Web-based access to information about the collection, its specimens
and images of some of the specimens is already possible".  Chair Lilien
(letter of June 23, 2003) suggested that the merger "guarantees the long
term well being of the collections" and that it ensures "that the
collections will be available to all students, teachers and researchers
across the entire state".

         In fact:
-       the Iowa collections have been, and continue to be, well cared
for.  Collections Conservator, Catharine Hawks, who evaluated the
collection in 2001 as part of a Conservation Assessment of the Museum of
Natural History, reported that they are "in very good condition".

-       the greatest threat to the University of Iowa specimens may be the
proposal to transport them to Iowa State in the cabinets, with the
specimens compressed in the cubicles, by consolidating them and/or by
adding stuffing.  While this method has been used at other institutions,
without reported harm to the collections, it is a very different matter to
transport specimens in this manner locally, a distance of a few miles or
less, as opposed to a trip of 130 miles, and two and one-half hours
duration.  If the specimens are not properly packed in bundles, in the
usual manner for shipping by mail, and the cabinets are not cushioned to
prevent vibration, the possibility of irreparable damage from abrasion is
very real.

-       it is not feasible to borrow specimens for purposes of routine
identification because of the breadth of representation required.

-       Ames is a 300 mile, five hour, round trip from Iowa City.  It is
not accessible if one lives in eastern Iowa.  Time constraints alone make
this trip highly impractical on a regular basis.  Half a day to work in
Ames probably would be insufficient and it is difficult for many people to
arrange to be away overnight.  Few would regard an analogous transfer of
the University of Iowa Library to Iowa State as a practical arrangement.

-       while images of specimens can be useful in some instances,
frequently the level of detail required would make reference to an image no
more helpful than reference to an illustration or photograph.  In any
event, we are a long way from having digital images of the Iowa specimens
in the herbaria at Iowa and Iowa State.

-       the inaccessibility that would result from the merger will severely
reduce biodiversity studies of plants in eastern Iowa.  Eastern Iowa is the
'hot spot' of the state, the part of the state that is characterized by the
greatest species diversity, and we are actively engaged in continuing the
work of documenting the biodiversity of this region.  In the last 10 years,
people working in eastern Iowa have recorded at least 10 native species new
to the state, and new county records are commonplace.

Diana Horton
Director and Curator, University of Iowa Herbarium
Associate Professor, Biological Sciences
312 CB
University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA  52242-1297

October 21, 2003