[NHCOLL-L:2084] RE: Ideas for a new ledger system?

Panza, Robin PanzaR at CarnegieMuseums.Org
Wed Sep 24 09:17:16 EDT 2003

>>>From: Christopher Conroy [mailto:ondatra at socrates.Berkeley.EDU]
       At the Museum of Vertebrate Zoology we are designing a ledger
for a printed version of our catalog. Until now, we have had a
handwritten card file for accessions and catalogs. Since many of our
accessions now come with a spreadsheet or database, or we organize
accessions with spreadsheets, we are planning to catalog
electronically and print out a hard copy. <<<

This brings up a point that I'd like to hear discussed.  My boss says paper
records are a thing of the past--that places that digitize their records
then don't deal in paper copies at all.  I'd like to hear if that's the
attitude at other museums, and the reasons why or why not.

Personally, I know I'm very conservative and want an archival-paper backup
of anything electronic, but how do others feel?  If we're backing up
regularly, is there a reason to maintain card files or ledgers?

Robin

Robin K Panza
Section of Birds, Carnegie Museum of Natural History
4400 Forbes Ave.
Pittsburgh  PA  15213  USA
phone:  412-622-3255
fax:  412-622-8837