[NHCOLL-L:2262] RE: FW: wet collections - jar sealing tape

Jean-Marc Gagnon JMGAGNON at mus-nature.ca
Mon Apr 26 16:07:11 EDT 2004

Janet,
    Thanks for the compilation of responses for Taping Jars.

    Note that the specs for the tape we purchase from Spectape are
essentially the same as those of the 3M sealing tape, but the price is much,
much lower at Spectape, with a better choice of colors.

    I also wanted to add that the use of Parafilm has not been so successful
here. It was used in the 80's and early 90's in one of our fluid-preserved
collection and for jars containing type specimens. In general, these jars
showed greater evaporation than those without Parafilm (i.e. with
Polypropylene lids with ot without liner). The reason appears to be simple:
after you apply the Parafilm on the threads, you screw on the lid but the
Parafilm does not stay uniformaly applied to the threads. My observations
show that it ripes in places as you screw on the lid, leaving gaps in the
seal and allowing greater evaporation. The addition of Parafilm on and
around the lid does not seem to help, and creates quite a mess after a few
years, as the Parafilm adheres very well to the glass.

    I believe the best (and affordable) solution is still the use of
Polypropylene lids with F217 liners and the Sealing Tape.

Best regards.

Jean-Marc

Jean-Marc Gagnon

Gestionnaire en chef / Chief Collection Manager

Collection des Invertébrés / Invertebrate Section

Musée canadien de la nature / Canadian Museum of Nature

Boîte postale 3443, Succ. D / P.O. Box 3443, Station D

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1P 6P4

Tel.: (613) 364-4066

Télécopieur / Fax: (613) 364-4027

courriel / e-mail:  <mailto:jmgagnon at mus-nature.ca> jmgagnon at mus-nature.ca