[NHCOLL-L:2497] Re: Appraisers for mammoth and sloth

Janet Waddington janetw at rom.on.ca
Thu Dec 9 13:55:26 EST 2004

In Canada we have to get arm's length appraisals for donations over a
certain amount (the total opposite to your situation in the US, and it
can be a real pain)
Allan Graffham at Geological Enterprises in Ardmore, Oklahoma has done
appraisals for us in the past, from a photograph. phone 580-223-8537

Other than that, I would suggest looking for a dealer on the web,
preferably someone who sells Pleistocene material and so is tuned into
the market, so if they are challenged they can substantiate the
appraisal.

Good luck,

Janet

Janet Waddington
Managing Editor, Collection Forum
Assistant Curator and Collection Manager, Palaeobiology
Department of Natural History
Royal Ontario Museum
100 Queen's Park
Toronto, ON
Canada M5S 2C6
Phone  (416) 586-5593  Fax  (416) 586-5553
Email  janetw at rom.on.ca

>>> Tiffany Adrain <tiffany-adrain at UIOWA.EDU> 12/9/2004 12:45:46 PM

Can anyone suggest some fossil appraisers our donors can contact? We
have
two donations, a giant ground sloth and a mammoth and neither donor
(both
in Iowa) can find anyone to appraise them. They have asked for our
help, so
we feel we should at least point them in the right direction. Your
suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks,

Tiffany.

Tiffany Adrain