[NHCOLL-L:2504] Re: Conditions reporting for fluid collections

Shirley S Albright shirley.albright at sos.state.nj.us
Thu Dec 23 10:57:12 EST 2004

Hi Chris,

Paisley Cato wrote a chapter on condition reporting for natural history
specimens in a book/manual published by the Southeastern Registrar's
Association [Basic Condition Reporting: A  Handbook, 3rd edition, edited
by Marie Demeroukas, 1998].   I believe it's still available for sale
from SERA.

She doesn't include a form specifically for fluid-preserved specimens,
but there are some things that I routinely inspect if an object is going
out on loan or as part of the inventory process:
Fluid level
Fluid opacity
Presence/absence of particulates in the jar
Concentration of the preservative
Status of the exterior labels/catalogue number
Status of the interior labels/catalgoue number
Container characteristics such as vertical stability, crowding of
specimens within the container, and
             the quality of the seal between jar and lid (is leakage
apparent?).

There are forms in the manual for taxidermy mounts and hides/skin
collections.

Good luck!    Don't hesitate to call if you have further questions.

Shirley Albright
New Jersey State Museum
P.O. Box 530
Trenton, NJ 08625